Geoelectric Investigation of the Groundwater Potential of the Federal Housing Estate, Eastern Part of Ado-Ekiti, Southwestern Nigeria

Olayiwola G Olaseeni, Ajibola Oyebamiji, Oluwaseun Olaoye, Bosede Ojo, Ayokunle Akinlalu

Abstract


This study aimed at evaluating the potential for groundwater development in the eastern part of Ado-Ekiti, Southwestern Nigeria using Vertical Electrical Sounding (VES). Data were acquired with ABEM SAS 300 and processed through partial curve matching techniques and assisted with 1-D forward modelling. Geoelectric parameters were determined from the VES interpreted result. Seven (7) different VES type curves (H, A, HA, KH, HK, QH and HKH) indicating inhomogeneity of the subsurface layer beneath the study area were observed. Weathered layer resistivity map having values ranging from 3.2 – 272 Ωm, overburden thickness of value vary between 0 and 28m and  bedrock relief values range from 360 – 480 m were delineated. It was estimated from the result that the northwestern and southeastern part which constituted about 15%of the study area possess high groundwater potential while the remaining 85% of the study area exhibit low/moderate potentials for yielding substantial water. Hence, the groundwater potential rating of the area was considered generally low.

Keywords- Geoelectric, Groundwater potential, Overburden thickness, Vertical Electrical Sounding

Full Text:

PDF

References


Abiola, O., Enikanselu, P. A. & Oladapo, M.I. (2009). Groundwater potential and aquifer protective capacity of overburden units in Ado-Ekiti, Southwestern Nigeria. International Journal of Physical Sciences, 4 (3), 120-132.

Ademilua, O. L., &Eluwole, A. B. (2013B). Hydrogeophysical Evaluation of the Groundwater Potential of Afe Babalola University Ado-Ekiti, Southwestern Nigeria. Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering and Applied Sciences, 4(1), 77-83.

Akinlalu, A.A., Adegbuyiro, A., Adiat, K.A.N., Akeredolu, B.E. & Lateef, W.Y. (2017). Application of Multi-criteria Decision Analysis in Prediction of Groundwater Resources Potential: A Case of Oke-Ana, Ilesa Area, Southwestern, Nigeria. NRIAG Journal of Astronomy and Geophysics. 6, 182-200.

Akintorinwa, O. J., & Adelusi, O. A. (2009). Integration of geophysical and geotechnical investigations for a proposed lecture room complex at the Federal University of Technology, Akure, SW, Nigeria. Journal of Applied Sciences, 2(3), 241-254.

Al-Amoush, H. (2012). Hydro-Geophysical Investigations for the Purposes of Groundwater Artificial Recharge in Wadi Al-Butum Area, Jordan. Journal of Water Resource and Protection, 4(7), 507-515. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/jwarp.2012.47059

Anomohanran, O. (2011). Underground water exploration of Oleh, Nigeria using the electrical resistivity method.Scientific Research and Essays, 6(20), 4295-4300.

Ariyo, S.O. & Adeyemi, G.O. (2004). Geophysical survey for groundwater potential in Iware area, Southwestern Nigeria. Bulletin of Science Association of Nigeria, Vol.25 Pp9-16.

Bayode, S., Ojo, J. S., & Olorunfemi, M. O. (2007). Geophysical exploration for groundwater in Ejigbo and its environs, Southwestern Nigeria. Global Journal of Geological Sciences, 5(1).

Oladapo, M.I. (2004). Groundwater development: Geophysical investigation for groundwater in Precambrian terrain. Journal of African Earth Sci. Vol. 6, pp.787-796

Olorunfemi, M. O., & Fasuyi, S. A. (1993). Aquifer types and the geoelectric/hydrogeologic characteristic of part of the central basement terrain of Nigeria. Journal of Africa Earth Science, 16(3), 309-317. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0899-5362(93)90051-Q

Olorunfemi, M.O. & Olorunniwo, M.A. (1987). Geophysical investigation for groundwater in Precambrian terrain. Journal of African Earth Sci. Vol. 6, pp.787-796

Omosuyi, G.O., Adegoke, A.O. & Adelusi, A., (2008). Interpretation of electromagnetic and geoelectric sounding data for groundwater resources around Obanla-Obakekere, near Akure, Southwestern Nigeria. Pacific J. Sci. Technol., 9(2), 509-525.

Rahaman, M. A. (1988). Recent advances in the study of the basement complex of Nigeria. Pre Cambrian geology of Nigeria, 11-41.




DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.46792/fuoyejet.v5i2.502

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Copyright (c) 2020 The Author(s)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

Powered by ICT and Faculty of Engineering, FUOYE

Copyright © 2020 The Author(s). Published by Faculty of Engineering, FUOYE

image The FUOYEJET website and her metadata are licensed under CC BY-NC